Box o' Rocks

Box o' Rocks
found beside book drop

Monday, November 5, 2007

Thing #19 Web 2.0 Awards

I clicked on the Visual Arts award winners and was kind of apalled.  Color Blender? Swivel.com with graphs?  The Broth sounded more like what I had in mind for arts oriented web.  There was some art that looked a bit serious, but only a bit.  Then there's some (ok, a lot) that looks like grade school kids submitted it.  Grade school art is ok,(and even fun) if you're expecting grade school art and I guess I just expected higher quality from something billed as an award winner.  I see better artwork on commercial websites.  Is it just the difficulty of many trying to create together?  I guess public art is just a messy business.

I also looked at two other award winners,  Backpack and Be Green. Backpack is an info and to do list organizer that I'll be visiting later to see what I can use there.  Be Green sucked me in, I was entering my information to see how my carbon footprint stacked up.  I'm feeling a bit green because I drive an old Honda and haven't had any airline travel this year, giving me below the average for my car/fuel use.  I have to sit down with my electric bill though, I'm sure we're better than average with our energy useage there too.  It was fun to do and made you think.


No comments: